Whether you are a visitor to the Florida Keys, considering a move here, or already have found your piece of paradise, there is a new movement everyone should know about. The ’10 Keymandments’ as provided by the Florida Keys Tourism Board, is a set of sustainable ideas anyone can get behind to help preserve our unique and beautiful ecosystem. This includes one of our most precious natural wonders, the Florida Reef.
Life here in the Keys would not be what it is, if we didn’t have regular connection with, and healthy stewardship of the islands’ flora and fauna, beaches, waters and land. All these aspects of the environment work together, naturally supporting this one-of-a-kind location. We can do our part to support this bio-network as well. There are steps and actions we can take which can help conserve this sensitive ecosystem; following the ’10 Keymandments’ is a great place to begin.
- Support Wildlife through volunteering
- Conserve vs. Consume with the Three R’s – Reduce, Reuse & Recycle
- Remove Trash, especially if you find it in the water, beaches and trails, or any natural area
- Create a Digital Footprint with photos and videos you can share & encourage others
- Plant a coral, or help by adopting one
- Capture a lionfish, an invasive species wreaking havoc on our ecosystem
- Practice Catch & Release fishing, keep what you will eat, return the rest
- Use a mooring buoy instead of an anchor, they are less destructive on the environment
- Hike, Bike or Hoof when you can; lower eco-impact transport helps conserve the islands
- Explore off the beaten path, bike, hike, kayak, paddleboard or walk the Keys trails- they are continuous, over land and water alike
The ’10 Keymandments’ are simple ideas and concepts which can have a big impact on the quality of our lives here in this natural paradise. If you are ready to join our community and enjoy life in the Florida Keys year-round, or want to buy or sell a home in the Key West area, please contact me, Jimmy Lane, for all of your real estate needs.